2014 Non-Fiction Contest Shortlist
Last spring, you sent us a heap of non-fiction manuscripts for our 2014 contest. After many evenings of heavy reading and equally many afternoons of heated debate, we (EVENT’s Editor and assistants) picked our favourites to be sent, without the writers’ names, to guest judge Deborah Campbell for final judging.
The 10 short-listed entries are (in no particular order):
- ‘Wire to the Sky’ by Miles Barclay, Surrey, BC
- ‘Caught in the System: My Life in Education’ by Tanja Bartel, Pitt Meadows, BC
- ‘Beirut Bombing’ by Tanya Bellehumeur-Allatt, Canton de Hatley, QC
- ‘Cockroach Towers’ by Charlotte Breadner, Douro-Dummer, ON
- ‘Vocational Rehabilitation’ by Hilary Dean, Scarborough, ON
- ‘Whatever It Is’ by Zachary Hug, West Hollywood, CA, USA
- ‘Nothing by Mouth’ by Cindy Matthews, Chesley, ON
- ‘Twenty Miles Above the Limit’ by Alessandra Naccarato, Toronto, ON
- ‘It Pays to Increase Your Word Power’ by Erin Soros, North Vancouver, BC
- ‘The Heat Comes Early This Year’ by Brent van Staalduinen, Hamilton, ON
The winners will be announced in August.
Thanks to those writers who sent manuscripts to us. We look forward to reading submissions for our 2015 Non-Fiction Contest next spring! Visit eventmagazine.ca for details.