At EVENT, we publish both new and established authors, and are keen to uncover new talent. EVENT has published exciting work by authors who have gone on to become literary icons. Our mission is to stoke the flames of the Canadian literary community while upholding our outstanding literary reputation.
Our Editorial Policy
- We don’t publish work by Douglas College students, staff or faculty (or their family members) who have had an affiliation with the college within the past two years, with the exception of reviews.
- Students, staff and faculty who have had an affiliation with Douglas College within the past two years may not submit work to EVENT’s Non-Fiction Contest.
- We don’t publish writing by people on our masthead (or their family members) until their affiliation with the magazine has lapsed for two years. This includes Notes on Writing and excludes reviews.
- We don’t review books by Douglas College students, staff or faculty, or people on our masthead (or their family members) who have had an affiliation with the college within the past two years.
- We solicit only reviewers we believe will provide insight into Canadian writing.
- We do not keep or profit from the sale of books sent to EVENT for review, with the exception of reviewers who may keep review copies after review.
- Review copies that do not get reviewed in the magazine will be donated to an appropriate venue such as the Carnegie Centre Library.
- We don’t publish work by writers who have been published in our magazine within the past two years, with the exception of reviews.
Our Payment and Rights
- We buy first North American serial print rights and limited, non-exclusive digital rights; copyright reverts to the author after publication.
- Publication occurs within a year of acceptance.
- For poetry and prose, we pay, upon publication, a minimum of $25/page ($30 for a poet’s first page), up to a maximum of $500, along with two copies of the issue.
- For cover art: We pay, upon publication, $150, along with two copies of the issue.