Congratulations to the short-listed entrants:
“If You Spot a Crow,” Heather Diamond
“Lost on the Greenway,” Jill Mandrake
“The Pamphlet,” Jeremy Andruschak
“Differences,” Madeline Sonik
“The Great Pause,” Jane Campbell
“And, in Another Part of the Forest,” Peter Dubé
“Eight of Nine,” Kathleen McDonnell
“The Dying Room,” Leanne Schneider
“Endless Circle,” Evi Cox
“Our Lives,” Alexis Pooley
“Sea Monsters Revealed,” Adrienne Gruber
Stay tuned for the winners announcement!
Genre: Creative Non-Fiction.
Prize: $3,000 in prizes ($1,500 First Place, $1,000 Second Place, $500 Third Place) plus publication in EVENT.
Fee: $34.95 per entry; includes a one-year subscription to EVENT and all applicable taxes and shipping
Deadline: October 15, 2020 (postmarked or submitted online)
Guest Judge: Madhur Anand
Madhur Anand is the author of the collection of poems A New Index for Predicting Catastrophes (McClelland and Stewart/PRHC), the ‘memoir-in-halves’ This Red Line Goes Straight to Your Heart (Strange Light/PRHC), and several other literary works published in national and international literary magazines. She is a full professor of ecology and sustainability at The University of Guelph.
Three Ways to Submit:
1. Use our online submission form
3. Send your manuscript, along with a cheque or international money order, payable to EVENT, to the address below. (American entrants please pay in US dollars.)
EVENT Non-Fiction Contest PO Box 2503, New Westminster, BC Canada, V3L 5B2
- 5,000 word limit on entries.
- Entries must not have been previously published, either in print or online, or been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Do not identify yourself on the entry.
- If not using our online submission form, include a separate cover sheet with name, address, phone number / email, and title(s).
- Multiple entries are allowed; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own $34.95 entry fee.
- If already subscribed to EVENT, you will receive a one-year extension.
- Entries will not be returned.
- If entrants wish feedback and commentary on manuscripts, please check out our Reading Service for Writers.
- Preliminary judging is done by the Editor and editorial assistants at EVENT.
- Douglas College students, employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter. Douglas College students may enter two years after completing courses.
- Entries must be postmarked or submitted online by October 15.
- Contest results are posted on our website and through social media. The winning entries and judge’s essay are published in the Spring/Summer issue of EVENT.
- For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-527-5293.