We’ve changed the deadline for our 2018 Non-Fiction Contest to October 15. And it’s bigger than ever with prizes totalling $3,000! Now get writing!
Guest Judge: T.B.A.
Genre: Creative Non-Fiction.
Prize: $3,000 in prizes ($1,500 First Place, $1,000 Second Place, $500 Third Place) plus publication in EVENT.
Cost: $34.95 per entry; includes a one-year subscription to EVENT and all applicable taxes and shipping—a great deal!
Deadline: October 15, 2018 (postmarked or submitted online)
Three Ways to Submit:
- Use our online submission form
- Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Non-Fiction Contest Entry) and pay the entry fee on our buy page via PayPal.
- Send your manuscript, along with a cheque or international money order, payable to EVENT, to the address below. (American entrants please pay in US dollars.)
PO Box 2503, New Westminster, BC
Canada, V3L 5B2
- 5,000 word limit on entries.
- Entries must not have been previously published, either in print or online, been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Do not identify yourself on the entry.
- If not using our online submission form, include a separate cover sheet with name, address, phone number / email, and title(s).
- Multiple entries are allowed; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own $34.95 entry fee.
- If already subscribed to EVENT, you will receive a one-year extension.
- Entries will not be returned.
- If entrants wish feedback and commentary on manuscripts, please check out our Reading Service for Writers.
- Preliminary judging is done by the Editor and editorial assistants at EVENT.
- Douglas College students, employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter. Douglas College students may enter two years after completing courses.
- Entries must be postmarked or submitted online by Oct. 15.
- Contest results are posted on our website and through social media in August. The winning entries and judge’s essay are published in the December issue of EVENT.
- For more information, contact us at email@example.com or 604-527-5293.
- Don’t forget to put the title of your piece at the top of the first page.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced.
- Pages should be numbered.
Our annual Non-Fiction Contest winners feature in every winter issue since 1989, and many have gone on to greatness. Winners also win a pretty nice cheque. To get a feel for what we like to publish, pick up a previous copy of EVENT.
See the results of our 2017 contest here.
See the results of our 2016 contest here.