We’ve changed the deadline for our 2018 Non-Fiction Contest to October 15. And it’s bigger than ever with prizes totalling $3,000! Now get writing!
Genre: Creative Non-Fiction.
Prize: $3,000 in prizes ($1,500 First Place, $1,000 Second Place, $500 Third Place) plus publication in EVENT.
Guest Judge: Lorri Neilsen Glenn.
Lorri Neilsen Glenn’s most recent book is Following the River: Traces of Red River Women (Wolsak and Wynn), a mixed-genre exploration of the lives of her Ininiwak and Métis grandmothers and their contemporaries. Author and editor of several collections of poetry and nonfiction, Lorri has worked with writers across Canada and in Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Greece and Chile. Her award-winning essays have appeared in The Malahat Review, Prairie Fire and EVENT, among other journals and anthologies. Former Halifax Poet Laureate, Lorri is a mentor in the University of King’s College MFA program in creative nonfiction. @neilsenglenn
Cost: $34.95 per entry; includes a one-year subscription to EVENT and all applicable taxes and shipping—a great deal!
Deadline: October 15, 2018 (postmarked or submitted online)
Three Ways to Submit:
- Use our online submission form
- Email entries to email@example.com (Subject: Non-Fiction Contest Entry) and pay the entry fee on our buy page via PayPal.
- Send your manuscript, along with a cheque or international money order, payable to EVENT, to the address below. (American entrants please pay in US dollars.)
PO Box 2503, New Westminster, BC
Canada, V3L 5B2
- 5,000 word limit on entries.
- Entries must not have been previously published, either in print or online, been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Do not identify yourself on the entry.
- If not using our online submission form, include a separate cover sheet with name, address, phone number / email, and title(s).
- Multiple entries are allowed; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own $34.95 entry fee.
- If already subscribed to EVENT, you will receive a one-year extension.
- Entries will not be returned.
- If entrants wish feedback and commentary on manuscripts, please check out our Reading Service for Writers.
- Preliminary judging is done by the Editor and editorial assistants at EVENT.
- Douglas College students, employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter. Douglas College students may enter two years after completing courses.
- Entries must be postmarked or submitted online by Oct. 15.
- Contest results are posted on our website and through social media in February. The winning entries and judge’s essay are published in the April issue (Spring/Summer) of EVENT.
- For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-527-5293.
- Don’t forget to put the title of your piece at the top of the first page.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced.
- Pages should be numbered.
Our annual Non-Fiction Contest winners feature in every winter issue since 1989, and many have gone on to greatness. Winners also win a pretty nice cheque. To get a feel for what we like to publish, pick up a previous copy of EVENT.
See the results of our 2017 contest here.
See the results of our 2016 contest here.