What We’re Looking For
Fiction: We look for compelling characters, plots that surprise us, narratives that move us, stories that have something new to say.
Poetry: We love poems that are lyrical without being overwrought, and profound without being pretentious. We look for honesty of emotion, and images that arrest us.
Non-Fiction: The creative non-fiction we publish mainly comes through our annual Non-Fiction Contest due to limited page space. We look for real-life experiences told as riveting narratives with distinct voices. We publish essays that feel artful and true.
Reviews: If you have opinions on books and know how to articulate them, we’d like to feature you as a reviewer! Read samples reviews on our blog for an idea of our style, and contact our Reviews Editor.
Your best bet at getting your work published in EVENT? Reading some of our issues. Find the current issue at Chapters, libraries or local newsstands; subscriptions and single issues in print or digital formats can also be purchased online or through our office.
How to Submit
EVENT accepts general, unsolicited submissions by Submittable only. We have two open submissions periods during the months of August-September and December-January. PLEASE NOTE: We are accepting Fiction submissions beginning on September 1, 2019 until we have reached our capacity. Due to the overwhelming response for poetry from the previous submissions period, Poetry submissions will be accepted at a later time. Please check back again. Mailed submissions are no longer being processed or returned. We do not accept email submissions.
Update: There is now no fee to submit. EVENT has removed its $3.00 Administration Fee, originally used to cover the costs of using Submittable, out of concerns that it might create a barrier preventing talented writers from submitting. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and experience levels to submit to EVENT. During our open submissions period, if our maximum number of submissions per month in Submittable is exceeded, there may be a temporary cut off until the beginning of the following month.
Submit up to eight poems, or one short story (maximum 5,000 words), at a time. Use standard manuscript formatting. Each poem or story must be saved as its own separate file (.doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt or .pdf file formats only). Be sure to submit under the proper category (genre). All work should be previously unpublished. You will be asked for a brief cover letter with your contact information, the title(s) of your submission(s) and a list of previous publication credits, if any.
For poem submissions, please ensure your name is included on each page, and that punctuation and capitalization is internally consistent within a poem.
- We will consider only ONE submission per writer at a time. Once you have received a response from us (accept or decline), you are free to submit another piece of writing. Please note that our Editorial Policy states that writers may only appear in EVENT once every two years, with the exception of Reviews and Notes on Writing.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please advise us immediately should a piece under consideration be accepted elsewhere.
- We review every manuscript we receive. PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of submissions received in December and January, our response times are longer than usual and may take 8-10 months. We’re reading as fast as we can! If you’re interested in being a first reader for EVENT, please email your detailed resume and writing samples to email@example.com with the subject line ‘First Reader Application.’
- If you don’t already have a free Submittable account, you will be prompted to sign up for one before you submit.
- We pay $40/page for poetry and $35/page for prose, up to a maximum of $500.
- All contributors receive 2 copies of the issue in which their work appears. Payment is issued upon publication.
- Please review our Editorial Policy for rights, payment policies and additional details.
Reading Service for Writers
If your manuscript needs another eye, try EVENT’s Reading Service for Writers. Manuscripts will be edited by one of EVENT’s experienced editors and receive an assessment of 700-1000 words detailing strengths and weaknesses, and providing recommendations for revision. All manuscripts submitted will also be considered for publication.