And the winners are…
Grand Prize ($1,000):
- ‘Magenta’ by V.J. Hamilton, Toronto, ON
- ‘Solstice Crab’ by Krischan Stotz, Dartmouth, NS
The winning entries, along with Amber Dawn’s judge’s essay, can be found in EVENT 47/2.
Congratulations to all the other short-listed entrants:
- ‘At Swim Two Girls’ by Anne Stone, Vancouver, BC
- ‘Perigee’ by Lisa Baird, Guelph, ON
- ‘A Limp Sparrow in Her Mouth’ by Catriona Wright, Toronto, ON
- ‘Ink’ by Kate Barss, Toronto, ON
- ‘Pity’ by Joelle Barron, Kenora, ON
- ‘Baby Teeth’ by Alexa Eldred, Victoria, BC
- ‘Going to See the Witch’ by Danica Klewchuk, Edmonton, AB
- ‘Sustain’ by John R. Flieger, Windsor, ON
- ‘The Absence’ by Erin Kirsh, Vancouver, BC
- ‘The Laurel Tree’ by Sabrina Brost, Vancouver, BC
- ‘The Ringmaster’ by Rachel Jansen, Vancouver, BC
Thanks to those writers who sent manuscripts to us–we received 119 entries in 2017–and to our contest readers and judge!
2017 Contest Judge:
Amber Dawn is a writer living on unceded territory of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations (Vancouver). Her memoir How Poetry Saved My Life: A Hustler’s Memoir won the 2013 Vancouver Book Award. She is the author of the Lambda Award-winning novel Sub Rosa, and editor of the anthologies Fist of the Spider Women: Fear and Queer Desire and With A Rough Tongue. Her poetry collection Where the words end and my body begins was shortlisted for a 2016 BC Book Prize. Her second speculative fiction novel “Sodom Road Exit” is forthcoming in Spring of 2018.