Genre: Creative Non-Fiction.
Prize: $3,000 in prizes ($1,500 First Place, $1,000 Second Place, $500 Third Place) plus publication in EVENT.
Fee: $34.95 per entry; includes a one-year subscription to EVENT and all applicable taxes and shipping
Deadline: October 15, 2020 (postmarked or submitted online)
Guest Judge: Madhur Anand
Madhur Anand is the author of the collection of poems A New Index for Predicting Catastrophes (McClelland and Stewart/PRHC), the ‘memoir-in-halves’ This Red Line Goes Straight to Your Heart (Strange Light/PRHC), and several other literary works published in national and international literary magazines. She is a full professor of ecology and sustainability at The University of Guelph.
Three Ways to Submit:
1. Use our online submission form
3. Send your manuscript, along with a cheque or international money order, payable to EVENT, to the address below. (American entrants please pay in US dollars.)
EVENT Non-Fiction Contest PO Box 2503, New Westminster, BC Canada, V3L 5B2
- 5,000 word limit on entries.
- Entries must not have been previously published, either in print or online, or been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Do not identify yourself on the entry.
- If not using our online submission form, include a separate cover sheet with name, address, phone number / email, and title(s).
- Multiple entries are allowed; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own $34.95 entry fee.
- If already subscribed to EVENT, you will receive a one-year extension.
- Entries will not be returned.
- If entrants wish feedback and commentary on manuscripts, please check out our Reading Service for Writers.
- Preliminary judging is done by the Editor and editorial assistants at EVENT.
- Douglas College students, employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter. Douglas College students may enter two years after completing courses.
- Entries must be postmarked or submitted online by October 15.
- Contest results are posted on our website and through social media. The winning entries and judge’s essay are published in the Spring/Summer issue of EVENT.
- For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-527-5293.