Congratulations to our 2012 Non-Fiction contest winners: Livvy Black and Mary B.!
Black’s “We Were Punk Rockers” and Mary B.’s “The Decision” can be read in our contest issue, EVENT 41/3, out in January 2013.
2011 Non-Fiction Contest Winners: Chris Donahoe and Krissy Darch
Donahoe’s “Busted” and Darch’s “Far Away Sick” can be read in our 2012 winter issue, EVENT 40/3, in addition to an essay by contest judge Kevin Chong.
The other short-listed entries were:
- “And Then (The Day I Almost Lost the Stories and Searched for the Meaning of Narrative)” by Kari Lund-Teigen, Vancouver, BC
- “Spawn” by Andrea Bennett, Vancouver, BC
- “Twelve Scenes in the Life of a Depressed Comic” by Euphemia Fantetti, Toronto, ON
- “Thirteen Snaps of my Nuclear Family” by Terri Favro, Toronto, ON
- “For Utah” by Nancy Pincomb, Roberts Creek, BC
- “Freak Show” by Katherine Fawcett, Pemberton, BC
Final Judge: Kevin Chong
Kevin Chong is the author of two novels, Baroque-a-Nova and Beauty Plus Pity, a music memoir called Neil Young Nation, and a forthcoming non-fiction book on horse-racing. His writing has recently appeared in the Globe and Mail, the Walrus, the Toronto Star, Maclean’s, Chatelaine, FASHION, Vancouver Magazine and the CBC Arts website. He’s an editor at Joyland.ca and teaches Creative Writing at UBC.