Call for Applications: Virtual Indigenous Writer in Residence
Douglas College’s Creative Writing Department invites applications for a Virtual Indigenous Writer in Residence position. We welcome experienced Indigenous writers of all genres, including poetry, fiction, storytelling, memoir, screenwriting, playwriting, song writing, children’s literature, and/or speculative fiction.
The position will be held for one week, from February 22 to 26, 2021. The writer will receive a $6,000 honorarium.
The selected writer will spend their time interacting with the Douglas College creative writing students and with the larger community through online readings, one-to-one consultations with students, virtual classroom visits, and a reading and craft talk at the annual Indigenous Voices program hosted by EVENT Magazine and Douglas College’s Indigenous Student Services.
- Book publication or equivalent public performances, productions, etc.
- Previous teaching, mentorship, and/or public speaking experience considered an asset
- Access to microphone or computer audio, webcam, and secure Wifi to access virtual meeting platforms, such as Zoom. Experience with virtual events or meeting is an asset
To apply, please submit:
- A resume or CV of related experience
- A writing sample of maximum 10 pages, or a video/audio clip of maximum 5 minutes
- A one-page letter describing how you envision creative writing student engagement and community engagement during the residency
Please send applications by email to email@example.com by the deadline of Monday, November 9, 2020, and include “Indigenous Writer in Residence” in the email subject line.