Put CanLit on the Map: Lovereading.co.uk’s Google Maps Book Mash-up
Lovereading.co.uk has created a Google Map that shows the settings of your (and other people’s) favourite books. But while putting together your literary world tour scrapbook, you might notice a problem: there are only four Canadian books listed so far. They’ve included Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery, The Long Way Home by Louise Penny, The Call of the Wild by Jack London and The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. Luckily, the map is crowdsourced, so lest it give the impression that there’s been a great dearth of CanLit after 1993 and across the 4,000 km from Quebec City to Vancouver Island, we’ve submitted the following for their consideration:
- Annabel, Kathleen Winter: Coastal Labrador, NL
- No Great Mischief, Alistair MacLeod: Cape Breton, NS
- Y, Marjorie Celona: Victoria, BC
- Who Has Seen the Wind?, W.O. Mitchell: Weyburn, SK
- A Complicated Kindness, Miriam Toews: East Village (a fictionalized version of Steinbach), MB
Share your favourite Canadian books and settings in our comments below! And submit them to the map here.