EVENT publishes fiction, poetry and creative non-fiction. While most of our contributors are Canadian, we accept English-language submissions from writers around the world.
We accept prose and poetry submissions at any time. (Please note we do not read manuscripts in January, July, August or December. You may submit work during these periods; however, response times may be longer.)
We review every manuscript we receive, most of which are unsolicited. Although we can’t publish them all, we make an effort to provide useful feedback for authors whenever appropriate. Please be advised that given the volume of submissions, responses may take up to six months.
What We’re Looking For
EVENT’s editorial team seeks the very best in fiction, poetry and creative non-fiction by new and established authors. What kind of writing are we looking for? In short, compositions that inspire, delight and challenge readers. Although we favour manuscripts with strong narratives, we also crave diversity and seek a variety of voices.
Fiction: We want readability, style, well-handled characters and a strong, effective point of view (although not necessarily all in the same story).
Poetry: We are eclectic and always open to content that invites involvement. Send us your work.
Non-Fiction: The creative non-fiction we publish mainly comes through our annual Non-Fiction Contest. We do accept general submissions of non-fiction throughout the year, but due to limited page space, it’s quite rare for us to publish a piece that comes to us this way.
Guidelines and Tips
- Read past issues of EVENT. Newsstands and libraries stock the current issue; single issues in print or digital format can also be purchased online or through our office.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but we will not publish work that has previously been published elsewhere, either in print or online. Should a piece under consideration be accepted elsewhere, please advise us immediately.
- We do not publish work by an author who has been published in our magazine within the past two calendar years, with the exception of reviews.
- Please review our Editorial Policy for rights and payment policies.
- We do not accept email submissions.
- Submit three to eight poems, but no more than two short stories (maximum 5,000 words each). We rarely publish excerpts from novels, unless they stand well on their own. Do not mix genres when submitting.
- Attach a brief cover letter with your contact information, the title(s) of your submission(s) and a list of previous publication credits, if any.
- Include a stamped, self-addressed return envelope. Send Canadian stamps, IRCs or US$1 if you are submitting from outside Canada.
- Tell us if you’d prefer your manuscript to be recycled rather than returned.
- Mail your submission to:
PO Box 2503, New Westminster, BC
V3L 5B2 Canada
Reading Service for Writers
If your manuscript is behaving like a rebellious teenager, try EVENT’s Reading Service for Writers. Manuscripts will be edited by one of EVENT’s editors and receive an assessment of 700-1000 words detailing strengths and weaknesses, and providing recommendations for revision. All manuscripts submitted will also be considered for publication.