What We’re Looking For
Fiction: Whether you’ve never published before, or you’ve published seven novels, we’re looking for the same thing: compelling characters, plots that surprise us, narratives that move us, stories that have something new to say.
Poetry: We love poems that are lyrical without being overwrought, and are profound without being pretentious. We look for honesty of emotion, and images that arrest us.
Non-Fiction: The creative non-fiction we publish mainly comes through our annual Non-Fiction Contest. We are looking for real-life experiences told as riveting narratives with distinct voices. We publish essays that feel artful and true. We accept general submissions of non-fiction throughout the year, but due to limited page space, it’s quite rare for us to publish a piece that comes to us this way.
Reviews: If you have opinions on books and know how to articulate them, we’d like to feature you as a reviewer! Read samples reviews on our blog for an idea of our style. Contact our Reviews Editor.Your best bet at getting your work published in EVENT? Reading some of our issues. Find the current issue at Chapters, libraries or local newsstands; subscriptions and single issues in print or digital formats can also be purchased online or through our office.
How to Submit
EVENT now accepts general, unsolicited submissions of poetry, fiction and non-fiction by Submittable only. Mailed submissions of any genre are no longer being processed or returned. We do not accept email submissions. To submit to our annual Non-Fiction Contest, click here.
Submit up to eight poems or no more than two short stories (maximum 5,000 words each). Use standard manuscript formatting. Each poem or story/essay must be saved as its own separate file (.doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt or .pdf file formats only). Be sure to submit under the proper category (genre). All work should be previously unpublished.
You will be asked for a brief cover letter with your contact information, the title(s) of your submission(s) and a list of previous publication credits, if any.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please advise us immediately should a piece under consideration be accepted elsewhere.
- We accept prose and poetry submissions year round, but we don’t read during January, July, August or December, so response times during those months may be longer.
- We review every manuscript we receive, most of which are unsolicited. During high volume periods, responses may take up to six months.
- Please review our Editorial Policy for rights, payment policies and additional details.
- If you don’t already have a free Submittable account, you will be prompted to sign up for one before you submit. It is easy and only takes a few minutes.
- Complete details and instructions on how to submit to EVENT are on our Submittable pages.
Reading Service for Writers
If your manuscript needs another eye, try EVENT’s Reading Service for Writers. Manuscripts will be edited by one of EVENT’s experienced editors and receive an assessment of 700-1000 words detailing strengths and weaknesses, and providing recommendations for revision. All manuscripts submitted will also be considered for publication.