The 2016 contest is now closed (click here to see the results).
The deadline for our 2017 contest is April 15, 2017. Check back here often for the latest updates, and start polishing those entries!
Contest winners feature in every winter issue since 1989, and many have gone on to greatness. Winners also win a pretty nice cheque. How do you feel about $1500 in prize money? To get a feel for what we like to publish, pick up a previous copy of EVENT.
Contest terms below are subject to change.
Full Contest Details:
Guest Judge: TBA
Genre: Creative Non-Fiction.
Prize: $1,500 in prizes plus publication in EVENT. EVENT reserves the right to award the prize money as it sees fit (e.g., two prizes valued at $750, three at $500, or one at $1000 and one at $500, etc.) in accordance with the judge’s decision. Published entries will be paid our standard publication payment in addition to any prize money.
Cost: $34.95 per entry; includes a one-year subscription to EVENT and all applicable taxes and shipping—a great deal!
Deadline: April 15, 2017 (postmarked or submitted online)
Three Ways to Submit:
- Use our online submission form
- Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Non-Fiction Contest Entry) and pay the entry fee on our buy page via PayPal.
- Send your manuscript, along with a cheque or international money order, payable to EVENT, to the address below. (American entrants please pay in US dollars.)
PO Box 2503, New Westminster, BC
Canada, V3L 5B2
- 5,000 word limit on entries.
- Entries must not have been previously published, either in print or online, been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Do not identify yourself on the entry.
- If not using our online submission form, include a separate cover sheet with name, address, phone number / email, and title(s).
- Multiple entries are allowed; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own $34.95 entry fee.
- If already subscribed to EVENT, you will receive a one-year extension.
- Entries will not be returned.
- If entrants wish feedback and commentary on manuscripts, please check out our Reading Service for Writers.
- Preliminary judging is done by the Editor and editorial assistants at EVENT.
- Douglas College students, employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter. Douglas College students may enter two years after completing courses.
- Entries must be postmarked or submitted online by April 15.
- Contest results are posted on our website and through social media in August. The winning entries and judge’s essay are published in the December issue of EVENT.
- For more information, contact us at email@example.com or 604-527-5293.
- Don’t forget to put the title of your piece at the top of the first page.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced.
- Pages should be numbered.