All submissions for EVENT’s 2013 Non-Fiction Contest have been received. Congratulations to our wonderful winners:
- ‘I Dream of My Standalone Quiznos’ by Benjamin Willems, Victoria, BC
- ‘Inshallah’ by Jennifer Morgan, St. John’s, NL
- ‘Care’ by Susan Buis, Knutsford, BC
Winning entries will be published in the December 2013 issue of EVENT [42/3].
And congratulations to the brilliant writers who made the shortlist:
- ‘Cat Face’ by Kayla Czaga, Vancouver, BC
- ‘Remember This’ by Kathleen Kennedy, Mulmur, ON
- ‘Elements’ by Fiona Tinwei Lam, Vancouver, BC
- ‘The Day I Married Jesus’ by Cathy MacLean, Gibsons, BC
- ‘Shopping Day’ by Leslie Sakata, Coquitlam, BC
- ‘Charcoal’ by Souvankham Thammavongsa, Stouffville, ON
2013 Non-Fiction Contest Judge: Russell Wangersky
Wangersky’s most recent novel, The Glass Harmonica, won the 2010 BMO Winterset Award and was longlisted for the ReLit Awards. His previous book, Burning Down the House, won non-fiction awards from both coasts, as well as the Edna Staebler Award for Creative Non-Fiction. The Hour of Bad Decisions was longlisted for the Scotiabank Giller Prize, and was shortlisted for the Commonwealth Writer’s Prize. Wangersky lives and works in St. John’s, where he is an editor and columnist with the St. John’s Telegram. His new book, Whirl Away, is a collection of short stories, and has been nominated for the Giller prize.
For more information on the contest, including submission guidelines for next year, visit the Non-Fiction Contest page.